2015 POLICY & ADVOCACY PRIORITIES
The Illinois State Alliance of YMCAs brings together 108 YMCA locations working in 120 communities and engaging more than 548,000 members in Illinois to strengthen the foundations of community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Our 2015 public policy priorities include supporting legislation, policy and systems changes and advocating for:
Nurture the potential of every child and teen
- Improving access to and quality of child care and after school enrichment programming.
- Funding of the Child Care Assistance Program and Teen REACH at the Illinois Department of Human Services.
- Funding for 21st Century Community Learning Centers and Early Childhood Block Grants at the Illinois State Board of Education.
- Additional funding and policy changes that work to close the student achievement gap, decrease learning loss and address education quality.
- Policy and funding that promotes safe environments for children and youth and community violence prevention.
- Fair solutions for Department of Child and Family Services child care licenses that also protect child safety.
Improve communities’ well-being
- Increasing physical activity before, during and after school.
- Implementation of the recommendations made by the Illinois Enhanced Physical Education Task Force.
- Expanding access to fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Policies that enhance access to food for food insecure communities including the Illinois Fresh Food Fund and Link Up Illinois.
- Regulatory changes and legislation that allows cost saving community-based chronic disease prevention programs to become reimbursable services to the Illinois health care system.
Giving back and providing support to our neighbors
- Legislation that encourages volunteerism and civic engagement.
- Preservation of nonprofit tax exempt status in Illinois. To stay strong, effective and responsive to the needs of the local community, Illinois nonprofit organizations must be able to keep their nonprofit tax exemption and avoid additional fees on services.